Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chica trabajadora


It is officially my second week as a teacher. Currently, I am only teaching two classes. One of my classes is for a private company ironically (and not so surprising for this country) called Acme. Acme is located at Forum, which is business complex that is very beautiful in Santa Ana. I really enjoy teaching there because I like my students, most seem motivated and already have a pretty decent vocabulary, but just may need some more help with sentence structure and grammar. However, they are all very busy with work, graduate degrees, and personal lives. I think they want to succeed in English for their company and also for the betterment of themselves. I have much admiration for the students who are personally encouraged.

My second class is a public class located at inlingua in San Pedro. This was the first class I shadowed and had I known that I would be taking over this class I would have probably paid more attention (and taken many more notes). They don’t seem as motivated as my Acme class though they are on a much higher level conversationally. We learn more about business rather than the everyday of English which has something to do with the nature of their jobs. 

As a native speaker of English teaching the language I know so well isn’t very hard because I know it. However, my students will always find a way to challenge me and question me on the perpetually oddities of the rules. For instance, last week in Acme we were learning much versus many. I taught what I knew- many is used for countable numbers (How many dogs are there in the park?) versus much which is used for uncountable numbers (Is there much coffee left?). A favorite student of mine asked, “Why do you ask how much money do you have? Don’t you count money? Shouldn’t it be How many money do you have?”. He was right. We do count money (and we also count time). Exceptions to rules exist as expected. We only know this because we grew up speaking this intricate language which I am now appreciating more than ever.  Attempting to explain this to non-native English speakers is somewhat of a challenge when all you really want to say is that is just the way it is (which is correct on many levels).

I never realized (or valued) that English has so many descriptors and ways of saying things, which as a writer I am grateful for. I also didn’t realize how much I like grammar. I think it goes back to when I was in sixth grade and had Sister Roberta for English class (many of my long-term friends could certainly defend me on this). She had us memorize the eight parts of speech in elaborate detail (including all the prepositions, etc. much of which I still can remember today). I am indebted to her now that I am a much more qualified teacher and I like explaining and knowing language rules. I have much more to learn which the process of life is, but due to my vast background I know it will only help me.

Every week here is something new and unexpected. Teaching is something I never really thought I would do though I have been told numerous times that I should consider it. I am glad to have this amazing opportunity from a plethora of upsetting unforeseen circumstances and time will only tell what is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment